Navigating the marriage green card process can be overwhelming, but understanding the basics can help alleviate some of the stress. Here are some frequently asked questions to guide you through the journey:

Which forms are included in a marriage green card case?

The key forms you need to submit include:

  • I-130: Petition for Alien Relative
  • I-864: Affidavit of Support Under Section 213A of the INA
  • I-130A: Supplemental Information for Spouse Beneficiary
  • I-485: Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status
  • I-765: Application for Employment Authorization
  • I-131: Application for Travel Document
  • G-28: Attorney Representation
  • G-1145: E-notification of Application

What happens after filing our case?

After filing, you can expect the following timeline:

Receipt Notices: 2-4 weeks after filing

Biometrics Appointment Notice: 3-4 months after filing

Employment Authorization Document (EAD) and Social Security Card: 6-8 months after filing

In-person Marriage Interview: 8-12 months after filing

How long does it take to file the forms?

If you have all the necessary documents ready, our office strives to file within 10-14 business days. The timeline can vary depending on client readiness and additional documentation needs.

Will you prepare me for the interview?

Yes, we conduct a mock interview with you and your spouse. Additionally, an attorney will attend your interview to provide support.

When do I need to get an immigration medical exam? How do I get it? How much is it?

To avoid delays, submit your medical exam at the time of filing your application. Alternatively, wait for USCIS to request it later. You can find a doctor through the USCIS website; costs vary.

Can I leave the country after filing my adjustment of status application?

No, you cannot leave the U.S. after filing. If you do, your application will be deemed abandoned. For emergencies, you can request an Advance Parole for emergency travel.

How long do we need to wait to get married after arriving in the U.S.?

Wait at least 90 days before getting married or filing your adjustment of status application to avoid misrepresentation or marriage fraud allegations.

What if we’re newly married but living in different cities/states?

We encourage couples to reside together with proof of joint lease or mortgage before beginning the process.

How do I hire your services?

We will email you an electronic contract. After you and your spouse sign it and finalize the payment, you’ve officially hired us. We’ll then provide access to your client portal to start uploading required documents.

Navigating the marriage green card process can seem daunting, but having a clear understanding of these FAQs can help you feel more prepared. If you have more questions or need assistance, feel free to reach out to our office.